The People Manager Workshop is a challenging, full-day workshop focused on the critical mindset shift and methods required to lead effectively.
As a manager, you are tasked with the dual challenges of creating business results and fostering personal growth in your reports at the same time. In this workshop, we will equip you with the tools you need to do both. To this effect, we will share a new framework for giving high-value feedback and having effective one-on-ones. We will also spend ample time practicing these skills through simulations and dialogues.
Following the workshop, we will continue to support you with micromentoring, individual coaching, and peer support groups to ensure you're able to implement these new tactics and embrace the new mindset.
Want to see a People Manager Workshop in your city? Drop your name on the waitlist and we'll reach out to you when we've got enough Managers to run one wherever you are in the world!
Want a workshop sooner? Share with a friend and have them add their name, too.
Request an event for your city or company:
More About This Workshop
People Managers Too Often Step into Their Roles Without Training or Support
It’s incredibly common: increasingly, companies prefer to promote from within, leaning on current members whose culture fit and technical skills are well established to take on leadership positions. That’s a beautiful thing; but it’s also a potential minefield.
How do we as new managers earn credibility with reports who were peers just yesterday? How do we let go of the drive to perform stellar individual work — the kind that earned us the promotion — enough to make space to have our teams step up and surpass her? How do we deliver high-quality feedback in a way that accelerates our reports’ growth? And where are we going to find the space and time to grapple with these questions and continue to hone the craft?
MEETING THE CHALLENGE
Reset Your Mindset
What is the role and what are the goals of a People Manager? During the first half of the Workshop, we dig in to our current assumptions about People Management, Leadership and Authority. Through a combination of group and independent exercises, we make the space to distill what our goals really are as People Managers. Once the goals are clear, the way you'll think about the role will be completely transformed.
The essence of the mindset shift is this: most high achievers who are promoted into People Manager roles are used to having the right answers, but this ends up holding their team back. They need to start asking the right questions, and in doing so will make space for their reports to come up with their own solutions. We call this concept More Yoda, Less Superman.
Introduce — and Practice — New Methods
Once we understand that a manager's most important job is to foster remarkable growth in direct reports — not to review work product or set strategy — we set share the tactics that can help accomplish this: holding High-Growth One-on-Ones using The Accountability Dial. It’s a tried and true method to incite employees to hold themselves accountable.
You Will Learn:
• How to let go of old models of authority that result in over-managing or under-managing people in order to find your personal authority style for maximum effectiveness.
• How to inhabit your own unique version of authority by leveraging your default archetype and managing its drawbacks.
• How to inventory and quantify the cost of micromanagement, not only in the productivity and growth in their reports but also in the organization and in themselves.
• How to initiate constructive feedback early, follow-up in a timely way, and deepen conversations in recurring one-on-ones that stay focused on how people show up at work.
• How to use The Accountability Dial — with reports, with peers, and up the org chart — to ensure feedback is personally relevant, professionally respectful, and goal-oriented.